Be on the lookout for these 10 things as you read:
- Repetition of Words/Phrases
- Cause and Effect
- Figures of Speech – What imagery is being used?
- Conjunctions – Especially For, Therefore, & But
- Verbs – Past Present, Future, Active, Passive, Command?
- Pronouns – Who or what is the subject?
A Case Study: Rom. 12.1-12
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies
as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your
mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and
acceptable and perfect.
The above taken from Grasping God’s Word, by Duvall & Hays. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001. p. 38,9.