9 And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
- “asking” – specifically asking, no blanket requests.
- “that you may be filled” – passive. ‘that you may receive the filling.
- “filled” – completed, or controlled by
- “knowledge” – here Paul argues that knowing Christ comes from a walking relationship with Him, not from a mystical sense the gnostics promoted.Knowledge is a priority to Paul because he knows it impacts our “walking” “Paul wants the Colossians to know God’s will and then let that knowledge control them.” -H.B.C.
- “will” – God’s will is not an easter egg where we search for something hidden, but God wants us to know his will and he reveals it in His Word.
- “spiritual wisdom and understanding” – speaks of the ability for one to understand the big picture of God’s will and apply it to daily living. This allows us not only to think spiritually about God, but rightly as well.
- “wisdom” – the comprehension of truth
- “understanding” – the application of truth